DiveRite Stainless Steel Backplate BC2116
- 5.5 lbs (2.5kg)
- 11-inch on center holes accomodate standard bolt kits
- Two 3/8 slots along the bottom are designed to fit assembly screws for attaching accessories.
- Center slots accommodate cam straps without a single tank adaptor
- One-inch and 2-inch slots permit diver's choice of crotch strap
- Perimeter holes for mounting lights, pony bottles and lift bags .
Greg Flanagan first invented the metal backplate using aluminum in 1979 for North Florida cave divers. He realized that a back-mounted buoyancy system gives a diver natural balance in the water, due to the diver's center of gravity (tanks) being surrounded by the center of buoyancy (BC wings). Plus, the diver gains a clean chest area with room for gear attachment points on the harness. Bill Hogarth Main went on to popularize the backplate and harness and dive purists who follow the DIR philosophy have come to embrace what is known today as the "Hogarthian Rig